Navigation Menu+

Bank of North America, Providence

As noted in 1891:

“The Bank of North America was incorporated in October, 1823, and had a capital of $100,000. For several years its location was frequently changed, but about 1857 it found a place at 36 Weybosset street, which some ten years later was changed to No. 48 of the same street, at which number the bank still remains. Its capital increased quite rapidly, until in 1862 it had reached $1,000,000. It was reorganized in 1865 as the National Bank of North America. Cyrus Butler was an early president. About 1840 he was followed by Amory Chapin, who was in turn followed by Elisha Harris about 1846. Seth Padelford succeeded the latter in 1861, and was followed by Jesse Metcalf in 1879. The last mentioned is still in office. Benjamin W. Ham was cashier in 1838. Henry E. Hudson succeeded about 1840, continuing to 1801, when C. E. Jackson, the present cashier, followed him, making for the last named a term of about 30 years. The present directors are Jesse Metcalf, Charles H. Merriman, A. D. Chapin, Arnold B. Chace, Charles D. Owen, Lucien Sharpe, E. C. Bucklin, William Wanton Dunnell and Stephen O. Metcalf.” — Richard M. Bayles, ed. History of Providence County, Rhode Island, Volume I. New York: W. W. Preston, 1891.

As a national, the National Bank of North America was granted charter #1036. During its existence, it issued $3,998,840 in currency ranging in denominations from $1 to $100, according to the National Bank Note Census. In 1910, $24,060 of that amount was still outstanding. 22 banknotes are recorded in collectors’ hands today.

The bank was liquidated on June 14, 1904.

 

Bank of North America Providence

Bank of North America Wellstood

National Bank of North America

National Bank of North America

IMG_0343

bankofnortham

 

Stock certificate for 30 shares, valued at a total of $1,500, April 7, 1852.

Stock certificate for 30 shares, valued at a total of $1,500. In the name of Joseph Harris of Cranston, April 7, 1852. Signed by cashier Henry E. Hudson.

national1556gph

Built in 1856, the former home of the Bank of North America still stands at 48 Weybosset Street.

Built in 1856 by noted architect Thomas Tefft, the former home of the Bank of North America still stands at 48 Weybosset Street.

Detail of the façade.

Detail of the façade.

© 2015 RICurrency.com, Old Banknotes From Rhode Island. Please do not republish the images on this website without permission.