Navigation Menu+

Westminster Bank, Providence

As noted in 1891:

“The Westminster Bank was incorporated in May, 1854, with a capital of $100,000. It was located at No. 72 Westminster street, from which it moved, and after making two or three shifts, settled in its present location at 56 Weybosset street about 1867. Its capital soon showed a rising inclination, and kept up a gradual increase until about 1875, when it reached $200,000, the present amount. The first directors were William B. Lawton, John B. Winslow, Asa B. Clark, Hollis Chaffin, John Kendrick, Charles M. Howlett, William A. Williams, and Gilbert Spaulding. The first president was Gilbert Spaulding, who was succeeded by David Sisson, 18f5 to 1857; William B. Lawton, 1857 to 1858; Eli Aylsworth, 1858 to the present time. The first cashier was A. B. Clark, who was succeeded by F. W. Anthony, 1855 to 1858; R. G. Place, 1858 to 1861; Sullivan Fenner, 1861 to 1866; N. J. Smith, 1866 to 1868; G. A. Phillips, 1868 to 1872; A. W. Simons, 1872 to the present time. Ira C. W. Aylsworth has been teller since 1871. The present directors are Eli Aylsworth, Arnold B. Chace, George H. Darling, Edward D. Bassett, Oliver Johnson, Henry A. Cory, William O. Cornell, William H. Washburn and Micah J. Talbot.” — Richard M. Bayles, ed. History of Providence County, Rhode Island, Volume I. New York: W. W. Preston, 1891.

At one point, the bank occupied the Second Wheaton & Anthony Building at 75 Westminster Street. Built in 1872, this structure was designed by the locally prominent architectural firm of Stone and Carpenter in the Second Empire style.

It remained a state bank through the national bank era and closed in 1923.

A brief sketch of the bank can be found in the pamphlet, Westminster Bank Of Providence, Rhode Island, 1854-1904.

 

Westminster Bank

Westminster Bank

Westminster Bank

Westminster Bank

Westminster Bank

Westminster Bank

 

downtownprovidence1800s

On the $5 notes, a custom vignette was created depicting the old Union Station in downtown Providence, which had a cove behind it.

IMG_0005

providencecove

Detail of downtown Providence from D.G. Beers Atlas of Rhode Island , 1870 showing the original Union Station depot and the cove.

An undated photo showing the

An undated photo showing 75 Westminster Street, where the Westminster Bank was once located.

countingroom

From the pamphlet, Westminster Bank Of Providence, Rhode Island, 1854-1904.

Blank stock certificate from the early 1900s for this state bank.

Blank stock certificate from the early 1900s for this state bank.

officerswestminsterbank

From the pamphlet, Westminster Bank Of Providence, Rhode Island, 1854-1904.

© 2015 RICurrency.com, Old Banknotes From Rhode Island. Please do not republish the images on this website without permission.