Bank of Kent, Coventry
Established June, 1818 in Kent County, Rhode Island and located in Washington Village, Coventry. Dr. Caleb Fiske was chosen its first president, Silvanus Hopkins was cashier.
A year after the bank’s founding, Washington Village was described in this way:
“There is a flourishing manufacturing village on the south branch of the Pawtuxet River. It contains three cotton mills, one of which comprises 1300 spindles. A large machine shop, for the manufacture of cotton and other machinery, and a weaving shop is established here, with water-power looms on Gilmore’s plans.
“It contains from 40 to 50 dwelling-houses, a School-house, 4 merchants’ stores, and a number of other buildings. The bank of Kent is located here, being 13 miles from Providence.” — John Chauncey Pease and John Milton Niles, A Gazetteer of the States of Connecticut and Rhode-Island. Hartford, CT.: William B. Marsh, 1819.
The bank did not join the national banking system and closed in 1867.