City Bank, Providence
“The City National Bank, No. 98 Weybosset Street, was incorporated as a state bank in 1833, and reorganized as a national bank in 1865. Its capital is $500,000, and it has a surplus of $160,000. Amos C. Barstow is the president; Henry A. Howland, vice-president; and Edwin A. Smith, cashier… Mr. Barstow has been president since 1846, and a director since 1839. Anthony R. Arnold was the first president. Among the cashiers were William R. Watson, Henry Earle, and Amos W. Snow.” — Welcome Arnold Greene, The Providence Plantations for Two Hundred and Fifty Years: An Historical Review of the Foundation, Rise, and Progress of the City of Providence. Providence: J.A. & R.A. Reid Publishers, 1886.
Figures from the National Bank Note Census indicate that this institution issued $1,543,860 in national bank notes. These were in denominations ranging from $5 to $100. Only two notes are known to exist today. City National’s charter number was #1429.
According to Roger Durand, the bank was absorbed by the Union Trust Company of Providence in December, 1899.